Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Memory of Paris



I've been to Paris three times, but the last time was almost 30 years ago. I'm sure it's changed in that time, but I'm also sure it hasn't changed too much. I want to go back, to experience again what it was like to be 25 and exploring the city for the first time. I remember children sailing toy boats in the pond at the Luxembourg Gardens, the Egyptian section in the Louvre (with majestic statues of the Pharaohs), the booksellers along the Seine, the soaring sweep of Notre Dame, the delicious pastries you could find in patisseries everywhere, the grizzled old men playing chess on the sidewalk, and the great delight of sitting in a cafe sipping a Belgian beer and watching the carnival of faces passing by.
Picture by Vladimir Fofanov

No comments: